Sunday, February 20, 2022

Genre Research

    While doing research for the main genre of my film opening: drama, I chose to more specifically focus on the role that characters play (haha). During my research, I also found that the drama genre is BIG. It has a broad spectrum of different sub-genres, from romantic dramas to courtroom dramas. I believe my film would fall under teen drama or a tragedy. The film adaptation of the stage play Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller, directed by Volker Schlondorff, is a great example to look more into. It's constant use of flashbacks to show trauma, emotion, and mental illness is something that I would like to play with in my film opening, looking at the past. 


    Going back to my focus on how characters act in a dramatic film, drama is conflict, in my case conflicts that are very likely to happen in real life, maybe it's slightly exaggerated at times for the aesthetic, but dramas are meant to be real and raw and emotional and have a connection to your audience. For all these reasons that I just listed in the longest sentence I think I've ever written, characters are crucial in a drama. They are the pillars of the movie, the ones that audiences will feel connected to, attached to, or relate to. So, characters must be well-defined, emotionally-driven, and must move the plot forward. 

    Hopefully, I can achieve that with my character. I'm thinking of only having one character in the opening so I can focus more on them and make them the best I can. It's clear that I am a "less is more" kind of person. 


Sources: 

https://thescriptlab.com/screenplay/genre/952-drama/

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/how-to-identify-film-genres#13-classic-movie-genres

https://www.filmsite.org/dramafilms.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fin

      Aaaaaaand, I'm done! Finally done with this month long journey!     I wanna thank everyone who helped me get this point, my mom, m...