Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Portfolio Project!

    Finally! The project I've been anticipating all year. I've seriously been thinking and coming up with ideas for this project since October of last year. I'm already fairly set on making my film opening's genre be drama/coming of age. My main source of inspiration is Bo Burnham's latest Netflix comedy special: Inside. 

"Inside is chaos, at first glance: Burnham is in one room, working alone to make the special,... using a disco ball and colored lights to dress up the plain space. He slam-cuts between footage of himself sitting at a keyboard singing and footage of himself in a near-catatonic state,..."

    I am fascinated by the prospect and challenge of filming in a single room. I think this leaves 'room' (pun intended) to put more effort into the mise-en-scene elements. Having one primary place to film helps me focus more on the colors of the set, the lighting, props, and costuming, all of which come together to tell a story without even needing to use dialogue. The image below shows the room that all of Bo Burnham's Inside is set in. Bo is great at using what he already has to make the most of a small space. 

Photo provided by Bo Burnham @boburnham/Twitter

Like Bo, I also intend to use dramatic and intense shots/cuts in my film opening to add to that dramatic element since I plan to have a darker tone to my story. I'm so excited! This is going to be amazing! 

Quote source: https://www.npr.org/2021/06/04/1002491153/bo-burnhams-inside-is-a-musical-fantasy-about-terrible-realities


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fin

      Aaaaaaand, I'm done! Finally done with this month long journey!     I wanna thank everyone who helped me get this point, my mom, m...